According to the dictionary, “encouragement” is the act of making an action more appealing or more likely to occur. It may be something that promotes determination, hope or confidence in a person, or something that makes the individual more likely to do a particular action. All of these definitions apply when you are in a time of profound discouragement because it seems as if nothing is going right. Here are encouragement Bible verses to smooth the way for living a more fulfilled life.
It is easy to feel the need of encouragement and sometimes hard to find it from friends or family. If you are feeling the need for help in getting your activities of daily life back on track, the place to turn is the scriptures. God’s word is a sure source for encouragement in every aspect of life. You may wonder how the verses from the Bible will give you courage. There are at least three ways.
The words from the Bible are helpful to us as we read about how God has strengthened and comforted others who are going through trials and tribulations. They are proof that God has interest in every part of the human experience and wants to help us through down times.
Another way the Bible verses about encouragement can help to lift your spirits is when they remind you of past times when God has uplifted you. If you make a habit of marking your Bible with special verses which have come to mean a lot to you, referring back to the highlighted portions of scriptures can be very uplifting. You might also keep a journal with special verses noted and why they are important to you.
Drawing near to God with the verses from the Bible provides strength in itself. He wants to spend time with you and there is no better way to feel His presence than to read and meditate upon the promises He has provided. Even if you are not feeling discouraged, your time with Him can be storing up positive memories for times when you do need a little extra courage.
- May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word. 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
- Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Psalm 16:5-8
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
- Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. Romans 5:1
- Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8
- So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. Corinthians 4:16-18
- The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing. Zephaniah 3:17
- He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. Ecclesiastes 3:11
- Know therefore that the LORD your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations. Deuteronomy 7:9
Encouragement bible verse from people and Christians
- Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Faith is a living and unshakable confidence. a belief in God so assured that a man would die a thousand deaths for its sake. Martin Luther
- We never grow closer to God when we just live life. It takes deliberate pursuit and attentiveness. Francis Chan
- One act of obedience is better than one hundred sermons. Dietrich Bonhoeffer