When looking for Bible comfort and encouragement, the Psalms are often tapped for their majestic words and recognition of all aspects of the human condition. The 12 Encouraging Psalms To Know speak of sadness, joy, worship and despair. They describe humans in hard times and they always point to God for the answers to emotions. As with all of the words of the Bible, they seem to be designed for the specific situation that is experienced in the life of the believer. Taking time to read encouraging Psalms will improve your outlook on life and provide guidance in every situation.
David is believed to be the writer of many of the Psalms. As an individual who experienced many of the same type of situations as those people of today, David could provide words that recognize these experiences and talk about them in human terms. David complained to God when he didn’t understand why he was undergoing certain experiences. He wasn’t reluctant to ask “Why?”.
Many of the Psalms have been set to music. These musical pieces are not only uplifting and encouraging in their own right, but also make it easy to call encouraging scriptures to mind when they are most needed. If you want to remember verses, make up your own songs and sing them to yourself. The thoughts that you will incorporate into your thinking will be uplifting and encouraging.
A powerful concept in the Psalms is that they always point to God’s control of the world. They are often in praise of God’s creative power, love and fairness. They are able to identify God as the loving Father to the human race. When David was most discouraged and downcast, he always pointed out that God’s care was present.
The Psalms are not just for those in the past. They concepts they espouse and the comfort they give are available to everyone in today’s busy world. The basic problems which bring problems to humans are both the same and different for each time period and each individual. Grief, sadness, oppression and discouragement are part of human life. The comfort that the Psalms provide are applicable to each of us today. Here are 12 Encouraging Psalms To Know
12 Encouraging Psalms To Know
- Proverbs 31:28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
- Psalms 88:2 Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry
- Psalms 1:1-3 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
- Psalm 125:1 They that trust in the LORD shall be as mount Zion, which cannot be removed, but abideth for ever.
- Psalm 145:21 My mouth shall speak the praise of the LORD: and let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.
- Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
- Psalm 37:5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
- Psalm 117:1 & 2 O praise the LORD, all ye nations: praise him, all ye people. For his merciful kindness is great toward us: and the truth of the LORD endureth for ever. Praise ye the LORD.
Psalm Quotes To know
- No one who really wants to count for God can afford to play at Christianity. D. A. Ironside
- The acid test of our love for God is obedience to His Word. Bob Jones, Sr.
- To be like Christ is to be a Christian. Daniel Webster
- The Bible: More up-to-date than tomorrow’s newspaper!
- You can no more outgrow your need for God than you can outgrow your need for oxygen.
- No one can ignore Jesus forever.
- Christ is a substitute for everything, but nothing is a substitute for Christ. Dr. H. A. Ironside
- God’s work done God’s way will never lack God’s supply. Hudson Taylor