The Bible speaks about the subject of death and dying beginning with first book of the Bible. It is mentioned throughout the pages of Scripture and there are also references in the final book of the Bible. Bible verses about death speak of it as a mystery. The resurrection is also considered to be a mystery. Because some of the references are positive or neutral and others are negative, there is naturally some confusion and some fear about death but I believe for every believer, we should rejoice because we know the person who passed on will be with our Father in heaven.
Even though such a period can be difficult for any person, I pray that anyone who has experienced a loss with rely on Holy Spirit to give them strength to carry on. There is still hope for the future says the Lord.
We know that death is inevitable. It may be a cause for fear, because we maybe uncertain about what comes next. The Bible verses about death can help to remove some of that uncertainty and fear. Solomon says that the dead don’t know anything, so there should be no fear of passing from life to death. The psalms of David repeat the idea, saying that those who are in the grave don’t praise Him.
So, the words of Scripture can help to remove the fear of dying. The other reason for negative thoughts surrounding the idea of death is due to the sadness that is experienced by those left behind. Bible verses of comfort for those who are grieving are prevalent. You can depend on the knowledge that God has promised to wipe away all tears from the eyes of those who are sorrowing.
That promise is linked to a another promise: God has said He will return and will raise the dead and eliminate death, sin, sorrow and pain. The Bible verses about death give us understanding, as well as comfort to those who lose friends or loved ones to death. The comfort is for the immediate aftermath, as well as for the hope of resurrection and eternal life in company with God.
During the time of Jesus on this earth, He gave us a surety on that promise by raising the dead in several instances. His friend Lazarus was resurrected, as was the widow’s son and the daughter of Jarius. These experiences related in Scripture are signals that God can and will do what He has stated. His promises are sure and His intent is to take away the sting and pain of death.
12 Bible Verses About Death
- Matthew 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
- Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Isaiah 43:2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.
- Psalm 18:28 You, Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.
- Psalm 46:1-2 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.
- Revelation 21:4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.
- Psalm 119:50 My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.
- Romans 8:18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.