This post discusses bible verses about family. The Bible talks a lot about familial relationships. Jesus referred to himself as the Son, and spoke of God as His Father. Although Jesus did not claim to be the Son of God, He did give himself the title of the Son of Man. In the broader sense, many of His parables spoke of family members. The story of the prodigal son is one example. There is also the parable about the father asking each of his two sons to work in his vineyard. In this parable, Jesus asked which of the sons did the will of his father. That is a story about family in the Bible.
The book of Proverbs written according to common belief, by King Solomon, the son of King David contains many references which teach how children should be trained and how they should behave. The family unit was very important in Bible times. A woman who was unable to bear children was shunned socially. A man who did not have sons to carry on his name and to care for him in his old age was also considered poor.
Inheritance in the ancient kingdoms of Israel and Judah was according to the original twelve tribes of Israel. God’s plan was that land should belong to the families for generations. Many of the social rules are laid out in the books of Exodus, and Numbers. There are also references to inheritance by families in other Old Testament books.
One of the Ten Commandments is devoted to the topic of family, specifically the parents. It tells children to honor their parents. This commandment promises a long life to those who follow its precepts. Jesus honored His parents and remained obedient to them for many years. One of His last actions on the cross was to place His mother into the care of His disciple.
In the New Testament, Paul commends Timothy for his devoted mother and grandmother who taught him from the scriptures. Children are again reminded of their responsibilities to their parents, and fathers responsibility toward their children. A precious promise to believers is the label of “children of God”. We are to be known as the children of the King of the Universe, with all the rights and privileges that entails.
Bible Verses About Family
- 1 Timothy 3:5 – For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?
- 1 Timothy 3:4 – One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
- Genesis 2:24 – Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
- Colossians 3:20 – Children, obey [your] parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
- 1 Peter 3:1 – Likewise, ye wives, [be] in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
- 1 Timothy 3:12 – Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
- Exodus 20:12 – Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
- Proverbs 31:27 – She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
Quotes About Family
- Before I do or say anything, I pray. This is the difference between acting and reacting.” David Yonggi Cho
- You are a child of God, and you bring pleasure to God like nothing else he has ever created. Rick Warren
- God determines your greatness by how many people you serve, not how many people serve you. Rick Warren
- Without Christ there is no hope. Charles H. Spurgeon
- God hath made it a debt which one saint owes to another to carry their names to a throne of grace. William Gurnall
- He (God) usually prefers to work through people rather than perform miracles, so that we will depend on each other for fellowship. Rick Warren