When the Bible speaks about the attributes of God, it is often in the format of I AM Love, or I AM Peace or I AM the Alpha and Omega. These are personality characteristics of God. Throughout the book of the Bible, God speaks of Himself in many different ways. Because He is all things to all people and He desires that we each attempt to incorporate as many of His attributes into our own lives as possible.
Looking into the Scriptures to learn about the attributes of God is time well spent. There are many verses that present the characteristics which are constantly displayed by God. He is faithful and is always truthful. He is also just. These are the traits which we need to emulate.
When we see God interacting with men in the Bible, these traits and others are displayed. God is unchanging. He doesn’t display a changeable nature. If we know God, we know we can depend upon Him to keep His promises. There is no aspect of our lives of which He is ignorant because He is all-knowing. He cares about us and about the decisions we make. He is willing to guide us in the best paths.
God is forgiving when we recognize our wrongdoing and repent of it. If we ask, He will forgive us and will lead us into a more spiritual life and will help us to be more like Him. We can have love, joy, peace, patience and gentleness among other characteristics which God promises for us.
In order to bring the attributes of God into our own personalities, we must first learn to know what those traits are. We should have the desire to become everything that is good, and honest and true, just as He is. He is described as a Friend, with all the shades of meaning which that implies. He is also a Father, which has a number of additional traits that are desirable.
He is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent. In simple terms, He is everywhere, He is all-knowing and He is all powerful. These are attributes which we do not have.
Bible Verses About The Attributes Of God
- The Lord is righteous in all His ways, gracious in all His works. Psalm 145:17
- Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name. Romans 1:5
- [We] being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus. Romans 3:24
- But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one Jesus Christ, abounded to many. Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more. Romans 5:15,20
- But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift. Ephesians 4:7
- Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16
- Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Hebrews 13:8
- Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. James 1:17
- He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God abides in him, and who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:8,16
- Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a loving hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. 1 Peter 1:3
- What God made, God loves, because it’s inconceivable that God should make anything that He didn’t love. A. W Tozer
- Love casts out fear, for when we know we are loved, we are not afraid. Whoever has God’s perfect love, fear is gone out of the universe for him. A. W Tozer