There are many images and verses in the Bible that speak about warfare. In most instances, the physical warfare images can also be applied to warfare in the spiritual sense. We are told in Scriptures that was don’t fight against physical enemies in the most extreme battles, but against spiritual enemies and powers of darkness. Here are a few Bible verses on spiritual warfare and how to conduct our hardest battles.
We need armor to fight spiritual battles in the same way that soldiers in the military units require physical protection. The Bible verses use the symbols of armor worn by Roman soldiers and likens then to the spiritual realm. When the right armor is used, we are protected in all parts of the body, including the head, chest, hands and feet. The same is true in the spiritual sense. Our minds are protected by the Word of God. We are promised the shield of salvation and even our feet are shod with protective elements.
As we fight against these powers of darkness, God is always with us. His strength is more than that of all the powers against which we fight. God is on our side in these battles. He has promised victory over the enemy.
In another sense, God has shown us through His word in ages past that when He is in charge of the warfare, there is no enemy that can defeat His people. There are many stories of battles fought by the armies of Israel in which they met and defeated overwhelming foes. The key to their victories was always the presence of God in the battle fighting through human agents.
Our spiritual battles today should follow the same path as those of the Biblical heroes. Asking for God’s direction in our actions ensures that we are fighting the battles which He has directed. These might be depression, anger, unhealthy practices or many other problems. When God gives us clear instructions about how we are to live, He will also help us to fight the spiritual battles which might ensure as we seek to follow His directives.
10 Bible Verses On Spiritual Warfare
- Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 1 John 4:4
- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1
- Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And,
- Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 2 Timothy 2:19
- And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive. Matthew 21:22
- There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. 1 Corinthians 10:13
- Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. Ephesians 6:11