With approximately three and a half years of public ministry depicted in the Gospels, there is simply not enough room to have included all the discourses of Jesus on various subjects. In fact, one of the writers of the Gospels says that much of Jesus teaching and miracles were not included, simply for the sake of brevity. Given that the writers of the Gospels relied on memory and retelling of the Jesus quotes, it is only by the inspiration of the writers that we have as many of the teaching of Jesus in His own words.
There are at least a couple themes in the Jesus quotes that are part of Scriptures. He spent a great deal of the direct responses He gave in answering questions put to Him by the scribes and Pharisees, by His disciples and by others with whom He came in contact. He used the questions as a way of teaching and pointing out errors in perceptions. He did not suffer fools gladly. His plain words turned the minds of the listeners to the really important principles He shared during His ministry. The very brevity of the Jesus quotes ensure that they are easy to remember and apply to situations in our lives today.
Two sermons recorded by the gospel writers contain many quotations which we use today. The first is called popularly, the Sermon on the Mount preached to thousands. The second is the final sermon given to His disciples during the Last Supper. The first sermon spoke in broad principles about the Kingdom of Heaven. The second was to give instructions to the disciples about how they were to proceed after His death.
As would be expected, the disciples and the early Christians treasured each word which He had spoken to them. They shared them orally and the quotations were spread along with the rapid growth of Christianity beginning with the time of the final Passover in Jerusalem and continuing with the visitors who returned to their own cities and countries. We have the words which are recorded in the Gospels which we know and treasure today.
Here 12 Jesus Quotes From The Gospels
- And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:3
- But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you. Matthew 5:44
- But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. Matthew 6:20
- He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 1 John 5:12
- And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
- And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. Matthew 4:19
- And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.John 6:35
- And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.Revelation 22:12
- As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. John 15:9