In one sense, the Bible is about healing throughout all of its pages. To find a scripture on healing is an easy task when you are spending time thinking about the verses you read. Healing is set on the spiritual plane, as well as the physical, emotional and mental plane. From the earliest verses in the Bible, there is a record of poor health in body, mind and spirit.
The sin of the first humans was an example of spiritual illness. They lost belief in the power of God to know what is best for each of us. As a result, they, the entire human race and the other inhabitants of the planet were in a state of spiritual illness. The illness extended into the plant world as well. You can find many a scripture on healing of the spiritual plane by spending time in the Word.
Mental illness is a scourge for the individuals who suffer and for their families. Some would say that instances of mental illness are not found in the Bible. However, King Nebuchadnezzar according to Bible texts spent seven years in a state which could be considered a mental illness. This is described as a punishment for his pride. He was later returned to his former position when God deemed he had learned his lesson.
Jesus was a key figure in many of the instances of physical healing. He restored the sight of blind men, healed the lepers and even raised the dead. Later, the apostles were responsible for many acts of physical, emotional and spiritual healing. The element of belief in the power of God to answer prayers for healing is a key part of the equation.
Can we depend upon a Scripture on healing which applies in today’s world? The answer is yes. James says that if anyone is ill, that he can be healed by the power of prayer. We are told to call the elders of the church and lift our requests to God for healing of the ailment. Individually, we can claim the promise of God that He wants us to be in good health.
A Scripture On Healing
- Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved. Psalms 55:22
- And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. Deuteronomy 6:7
- Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. 1 Peter 2:24
- Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Proverbs 31:30
- As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: Colossians 2:6