It is traditional to look at new beginnings during the holidays at the end of each year. New Year’s resolutions are a recognition that something needs to change in our lives. It can be a promise to control anger, lose weight, take a class, stop smoking or a hundred other things. Unfortunately, most of us don’t hold out with our resolutions for more than a few days. When you look at some of the Bible verses for the New Year, they not only offer some suggestions, but tell you how you can follow through on the resolutions.
New Year’s Bible verses help us to turn our focus from the past and those things which represent failure and think about what the better pathway would be. The Bible reminds us that we can change with the help of scriptures. Recognizing where change is needed and setting out resolutions for the future is something that should be done periodically.
Bible verses help us to identify what is a priority in our life. God wants us to think about our relationship with Him first and foremost. He tells us about the important aspects of our life through the Bible verses. As we spend time with Him, our focus will change and be redirected toward the things that really matter over the long term.
If you are finding it difficult to stick to the resolutions you made, turning back to the Bible verses will give you the strength to follow the path that you have set out as part of the New Year recognition. We only have to ask for strength and commitment from God in order to claim the answers. There is nothing too hard for us when it is according to God’s will.
When you are discouraged about failing to follow through on your desire to change your behavior, the Bible verses which tell us that we can start over when necessary and He is just as willing to help us the next time around as He was when He gave us the words from scripture. We can read and absorb the verses and be inspired to start again. Here are 12 Bible Verses for the New Year.
Bible Verses for the New Year
- Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever. The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises. The wind blows to the south and turns to the north; round and round it goes, ever returning on its course. All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full. To the place the streams come from, there they return again.Ecclesiastes 1:4-7
- A man’s own folly ruins his life, yet his heart rages against the LORD. Proverbs 19:3
- There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD. Proverbs 21:30
- For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.Ecclesiastes 1:18
- And I saw that all labor and all achievement spring from man’s envy of his neighbor. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind. Ecclesiastes 4:4
- Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
New Year Bible Quotes
- No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money. Matthew 6:24
- Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her.Proverbs 8:10-11
- Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you. Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.Proverbs 9:8-9
- For the ways of man are before the eyes of the Lord, and he pondereth all his goings. Proverbs 5:21
- If then God so clothe the grass, which is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith? Luke 12:28