The Bible has been a source of comfort for countless people down through the ages. Its pages are filled with messages of hope and reassurance. God’s promises are sure and he is faithful. Bible verses of comfort are found throughout the Old and New Testaments. One of the most famous is Psalm 23. It was written by David whose experience tending sheep as a young man reminded him of the way God cared for him as the perfect shepherd. Psalm 23 speaks about how God is with us during the pleasant times, “he leads me beside still waters” and the difficult, “though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil.” These words must have been a great encouragement for David during the years when he was fleeing from King Saul. Psalm 23 is relatively short and is easy to memorize. It contains some excellent Bible quotes of comfort.
In the New Testament, the words of Jesus are great Bible verses of comfort. It is possible that Jesus was thinking of Psalm 23 when he claimed in John 10, “I am the Good Shepherd”. In that same chapter Jesus promised his disciples (he called them his sheep) that, “I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture” (John 10:9). Jesus also provided comfort by assuring that he would never leave his disciples (John 14:8) and the writer of Hebrews commanded believers not to worry about their daily needs knowing that [God] will never leave you or forsake you” Hebrews 13:5. Christians have not been promised an easy life. There are no guarantees that they will avoid pain or suffering. What has been given to Christians is the promise that God is and will be a part of every instance of life. He will be there assuring of his presence and providing protection through the good times and the bad.
Bible Verses Of Comfort
- The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles. Psalms 34:17
- Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Psalms 23:5
- Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. Psalms 27:14
- Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Ephesians 6:13
- But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it. Luke 11:28
- I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. Psalms 34:4
- He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Psalms 23:3
- The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. Psalms 9:9