The Bible is full of wisdom and encouragement. It is and will continue to be the highest selling book in history. Men and women throughout the ages have found wisdom, encouragement, and strength from its pages. What are some famous Bible quotes? There are too many to mention here and trying to name them all would be impossible. What can be discussed here in a limited here are a few famous Bible quotes that are often misquoted or misapplied. I pray these verses give you encouragement and increase your faith in our Father.
Consider first of all, “money is the root of all evil.” Is this a famous Bible quote? Actually, it is a famous misquote of 1 Timothy 6:10, “for the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.” The key word that was missing is love. Money by itself is neither good nor evil. It matters most how it is used. When money becomes an idol and takes the place of God as the focus of worship it becomes evil. Should Christians shun money? Of course not! They should see it as a tool that can be used to further the purposes of God and as a gift from God for our daily provisions. Money should never, however, be held in higher regard than God.
Another is “do not judge, or you too will be judged.” This is a famous Bible quote from the Gospel of Matthew spoken by Jesus during his famous Sermon on the Mount. People have used this quote to silence Christians, claiming that they have no right to speak out against immoral practices because of the threat of their own judgment. Jesus, however, is not telling us to suspend discernment or to stop differentiating between right and wrong. What Jesus is saying is that we must be careful not to condemn people outright. We can condemn sin and point out bad behavior but we must also examine our own hearts and be willing to come clean about our own failings. Those who are self-righteous and unrepentant cannot be forgiven because they refuse to humble themselves before God and as another famous Bible quote says, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”
Remember that the main aim of whatever we do should come from love. Love is the language of heaven and as Believers we are to be the first to love and the last to leave.
9 Famous Bible Quotes
- For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. Romans 8:2
- Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Ephesians 4:29
- Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles. Proverbs 21:23
- Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. 1 John 4:15
- Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath. Ephesians 4:26
- Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Ephesians 6:1
- Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Matthew 19:19
- Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Isaiah 55:6
- I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. John 10:9