Gratitude is a key element in our relationships with others, as well as with God. We can be grateful for the basics of life, although we sometimes forget that the gift of life itself is a God-given boon to us. We can find many examples of thanksgiving songs scattered in Bible verses. The majestic language of the Psalms is a good example of expressing gratitude to God in the form of songs. The words of David in one form or another are often set to music and have been used in the worship services of many denominations and generations since his time.
We don’t know the sounds of musical instruments that accompanied the songs of praise and gratitude to God centuries ago. We do express the words of thanksgiving in the music and with the instruments of today. Even reading and speaking the phrases in the privacy of our homes and minds can be a form of thanksgiving to God for His many gifts to us.
The Psalms are not the only expression of singing noted in the words of Scripture. Miriam, sister of Moses and Aaron led the women of Israel in a song of thanksgiving as they looked back on the death of the Egyptian army in the waters of the Red Sea. We are told that the songs were accompanied by musical instruments and by dancing in the sheer joy of expression.
Another song of thanksgiving was expressed by Barak, one of the generals under the judge Deborah. He expressed his thanks for the victory God gave the Israelites against Sisera through the actions of a woman. God gave His instructions, Barak followed the command and the Israelites were delivered from the oppression of an enemy force equipped with nine hundred iron chariots.
Another memorable paean of thanksgiving came from the virgin mother of Jesus. She sang in joy that the long-held hope of the Jews was about to be realized in the form of her Son. Her gratitude and humility forms a song that focuses on God and His gifts. This song is another one which has been repeated through the centuries. Here are Thanksgiving Songs To Start Your Day
Thanksgiving Songs To Start Your Day
- Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Hebrews 13:2
- For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Romans 10:13
- Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? Luke 12:6
- For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations. Psalms 100:5
- And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16
- Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Psalms 100:4
- Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 5:20
- We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of Heaven; we have been preserved these many years in peace and prosperity; we have grown in numbers, wealth, and power as no other nation has ever grown. ~ Abraham Lincoln, at Thanksgiving time during the Civil War, 1863
- Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds. ~ Theodore Roosevelt, 1901
- As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~ John Fitzgerald Kennedy