This blog post presents a few verses about patience in the Bible. You normally hear Christians say, when you ask for patience, then God will give you problems or things to test you, therefore never pray for patience. I believe we should look at it well in the light of scripture. When we pray for patience it is a sign we lack love. Love is patience. When we are filled with the love of God, patience will definitely come with it.
The word of God dwells mostly on principles of conduct. This is the major reason that the word of God is considered as a lamp to the feet and a light to the path of every child of God. This basically means that it should give the child of God every instruction on how to conduct themselves. One is asked to give themselves to the study of the word so that they may be fully equipped for every good work and presentable to the Master as a workman who is worthy and who handles the word correctly.
To become perfect one needs to be molded in every aspect of their life and the fundamental aspect being their character. Character can be looked at as receiving its foundation from the fruit of the Holy Spirit. The fruits are outlined as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. For this post we are mostly focusing on the bible verses about patience. We can describe patience as a character that will enable one not to be quick to let go or to lose faith in what is being anticipated.
One of the bible verses about patience comes as a promise of what it will be like when you exercise patience in matters concerning God. The Lord has already blessed us with every spiritual blessing in heavenly places. It is just a matter of us walking in that promise and manifesting Him in the process. Remember we already have it. The Lord says that He desires blessing that do not add sorrow to us. It is for this reason that the bible verses about patience are built around this that says “those who wait/hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, and they will walk and not be faint.”
Most Bible verses about patience always have a promise at the end. Some are there to help us build our character, afterall, we are to manifest Christ in all that we do. God lives in us and He wants us to be like Him. We may all face hardships but how we handle it should speak to the world around us. We as believers cannot go about talking about our situations as unbelievers do. We have the Holy Spirit in us and one of His fruits in us is patience.
This is a sample prayer model you can pray concerning patience.
Heavenly Father, thank you for the fruit of the Spirit that resides in me. I pray that I walk in love just as You are love. Let patience flow out of me in everything I do. In Jesus name, Amen
11 Bible Verses About Patience
- Philippians 4:6 – Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
- Ecclesiastes 7:9 – Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.
- Ephesians 4:2 – With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
- 1 Corinthians 13:4 – Charity suffereth long, [and] is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
- 1 Peter 2:19-23 – For this [is] thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully. (Read More…)
- Romans 5:4 – And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
- James 1:19 – Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
- Proverbs 15:18 – A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but [he that is] slow to anger appeaseth strife.
- Isaiah 40:31 – But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint.