John Wesley (1703-1791) was an English evangelist and theologian and the cofounder of the Methodist church. He ministered in England while the First Great Awakening took place in the American Colonies. He was a prolific orator and author writing countless books. As such, he was concerned that common people would be able to have access to theological works. John Wesley’s quotes come from his sermons and journals. One such powerful quote was said when he first realized he had been saved by God, “I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone for salvation; and an assurance was given to me that he had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death.” John Wesley rejected the teaching of Calvinism and thus did not believe in election but at that moment, he was able to understand God’s love for him.
Another famous John Wesley quote comes from his transformation from being “high church” minded to preaching to the common man, “I look upon the world as my parish, thus far, I mean, that in whatever part I am in, I judge it meet, right, and my bounden duty to declare unto all that are willing to hear the glad tidings of salvation.”Christians would do well to follow that mentality in today’s world.
One final famous John Wesley quote was directed toward his friend from college George Whitefield with whom he had strong theological differences. One day Wesley was asked whether or not he believed he would see Whitefield in heaven to which he replied, “No.” but then clarified, “Do not misunderstand me, madam; George Whitefield was so bright a star in the firmament of God’s glory, and will stand so near the throne, that one like me, who am less than the least, will never catch a glimpse of him.” Whether or not one agrees with the Methodist movement or its teachings, it cannot be disputed that John Wesley was a great man of God.
Let us know if you enjoyed these John Wesley Quotes and which ones you want us to write about in the future. Kindly leave your comment below with your favourite quotes of John Wesley. Be sure to check back on the site to know when your favorite quote of him will be posted on our site. Shalom, peace and life to you in Jesus name.
John Wesley Quotes 11 Powerful Sayings
- O God, ‘in the midst of wrath, remember mercy!’ Be glorified in our reformation, not in our destruction!” John Wesley
- Without love, nothing can make death comfortable.” John Wesley
- The best of all is, God is with us.” – John Wesley
- And now run the race which is set before thee, in the royal way of universal love.” John Wesley
- Keep an even pace, rooted in the faith once delivered to the saints, and grounded in love, in true catholic love, till thou art swallowed up in love for ever and ever!” John Wesley
- All worldly joys are less than that one joy of doing kindnesses.” John Wesley
- My ground is the Bible. Yea, I am a Bible-bigot. I follow it in all things, both great and small.” John Wesley
- The best of it is, God is with us.” John Wesley
- The Church recruited people who had been starched and ironed before they were washed.” John Wesley
- When I was young I was sure of everything; in a few years, having been mistaken a thousand times, I was not half so sure of most things as I was before; at present, I am hardly sure of anything but what God has revealed to me” John Wesley
- You may be as orthodox as the devil and as wicked” John Wesley
John Wesley Quotes Video