If you are in a period of your life when nothing seems to be going right, you are not alone. Read these 12 Famous Encouraging Scriptures. Many of the well-known Bible characters suffered from times when they questioned whether God had forgotten them. The Bible also provides many examples about how these same characters were able to reach out and grasp the same promises that people today can benefit from. These encouraging Scriptures are examples of their commitment to trust in God in spite of the pressures and stresses of their lives.
David was an example of a man who had discouraging moments. He had to flee for his life more than once. At one time his father-in-law tried to kill him. On another occasion, David’s handsome and popular son decided to get rid of him. Another son died as an infant. His wife openly mocked him for his joy. Yet David’s psalms and songs are full of not only how he was discouraged, but how he trusted in God to bring him from the depths of despair.
Paul from the New Testament is known to have many times when he could have given in to discouragement. He was whipped, manacled, spent time in prison and was distrusted by fellow believers for a time. He had to escape over the walls of a city at one point to save his life. It is believed by some that he suffered from eye problems. Paul laid out some of the trials he had gone through, and then went on to state his belief in Jesus and in God’s guidance. Paul went beyond claiming encouragement for himself. He actively encouraged Christians in his travels throughout the known world.
Today, we can use the same passages that David wrote and that Paul shared in his letters to the churches in Asia Minor to catch a glimpse of the encouragement God intended for each of us. When compared with the troubles of David and of Paul, our discouragement may seem rather petty. It’s important to note that God provides encouragement to us, even though we may feel our problems and stresses are minor. Read the words, commit them to memory and meditate upon them daily.
12 Famous Encouraging Scriptures
- Psalm 119:9-11 “How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.”
- Habakkuk 3:19 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds’ feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places.
- Matthew 25:40 “The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”
- Joshua 1:9 “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”
- Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
- John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
- Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
- 1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
- Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.
- Proverbs 28:1 The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.
Encouraging quotes/scriptures from believers
- Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted
- Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone!
- Humility is a paradox. The moment you think you’ve finally found it, you’ve lost it. There has yet to be written a book entitled, Humility and How I Achieved It. And yet, God expects (and rewards) an attitude of servant-like humility in His followers.
- Never get so busy doing the work of the kingdom that you forget who the King is.
- God specializes in happy endings.