The Bible refers in several places to direct healing, both physical and spiritual. In fact, the Scriptures relate good spiritual health with a healthy body. Some of the ways to be healthy require a change in thinking which is usually called renewal of the mind. Being happy is called a medicine, at least in the effect it has on the body. The reverse is also true. If you are unhappy or stressed, your body can quickly become physically ill. Regardless of the cause of illness, there are verses in the Bible about healing and how to stay healthy.
The Bible also refers to direct healing methods. We are instructed to pray for those who are ill. This requires a personal commitment and a realization of the responsibility we have for the health of those who are fellow believers. The power of prayer for others is well documented throughout the Bible. Remember the Bible didn’t say we should pray to God but rather talk to the sickness and command it to leave. Why? Because sickness is a mountain and can be healed by the believer.
There are a number of places in God’s Word where healing is described. Several of the miracles recorded in the Gospels talk about healing those who are suffering from ill health. The miracles of Jesus in healing Peter’s mother, the widow’s son and Lazarus are all described. Jesus healed blindness, leprosy, insanity and female problems.
The disciples also were able to heal through the power of Jesus. Even the shadow of one of the apostles is believed to heal those upon whom it fell. In each case, healing came with belief in God and His Son, and not by any power of the human being.
Healing in the emotional sense is also part of what the Bible verses describe. Those who place their trust in the promises of God’s Word do not have the worry and concerns that lead to physical illness. The Bible tells us to take hold of the assurance of God as stated in His Word. He will take care of all our needs, including good health.
The Bible speaks a lot about healing. Sometimes we say, Oh if I am sick, I get to give glory to God in my sickness. In some cases believers would say God gives sickness. I would want to state that God and the devil didn’t change places. It is the devil that comes to kill, steal and destroy. Let us know that one of the costly thing that can happen to a person is for them to lose their health. You can walk in divine health. He doesn’t want you sick. In my next post about healing, I will be picking each scripture and would expand on them so we can fully know more about God’s desire to heal us.
Let us know what your favourite Bible verses about healing and we will add it to the next post. Enjoy, stay blessed and share with family and friends.
Here are 9 verses in the Bible about healing
- Exodus 23:25 And you shall serve the LORD your God, and he shall bless your bread, and your water; and I will take sickness away from the middle of you.
- Psalms 103:3 Who forgives all your iniquities; who heals all your diseases;
- Psalms 107:20 He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.
- Jeremiah 30:17 For I will restore health to you, and I will heal you of your wounds, said the LORD; because they called you an Outcast, saying, This is Zion, whom no man seeks after.
- Matthew 4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.
- Matthew 9:12 But when Jesus heard that, he said to them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.
- Matthew 10:8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely you have received, freely give.
- Matthew 14:14 And Jesus went forth, and saw a great multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed their sick.
- Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
- Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
- James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: